On March 6, 1895, sixteen ladies met in Easton, Pennsylvania. Their meeting took place in the rooms of the Board of Trade, Irish Building. The purpose of the meeting was to form a chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Mrs. Maxwell was elected chairman and called the meeting to order. Miss Maxwell was secretary pro tem.
The ladies decided to form a chapter. They discussed names. Suggested were: "George Taylor," "Easton," "William Parsons," and "The Forks of the Delaware." Fifteen ballot votes were cast, and the results were: Easton, six; George Taylor, seven; William Parsons, two.
The George Taylor Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution was organized.
The Constitution and Bylaws used by the National Society in Washington, D.C., were adopted by the chapter.
It was decided by ballot vote that the annual meeting would be the sixth of May; that date commemorating the founding of the "Association," the first military company of the county to organize for the War of the American Revolution.
Meetings would be held at the homes of the members, in alphabetical order. Each member would contribute to the literary entertainment by reading original and select articles at each meeting.
It was also noted that members should pay a fine if they didn't attend meetings. Illness was an acceptable absence. The treasurer would collect the fine of five cents. Non-resident members did not have to pay the fine.
Officers were elected.
Each member was to be notified of the meeting date, time, and location.
Information from a copy of the minutes from the first meeting.
The George Taylor Chapter, NSDAR, owns the Parsons-Taylor House at the corner of 4th and Ferry Streets in Easton. General and educational tours are given through open houses or appointments. An open house is held annually in July during Easton Heritage Day, and as we become more involved in the Historic Easton Committee, additional open houses may be possible in the future.